21/07/2008

A brief history of XSS, and of friendship part 1 - The early days

Day 2 of my university life at Southampton Uni consisted of a 151-155 Selborne trip to Asda. What a cave of tasty treasure it was! More to the point, I spotted a girl with bright red hair walking out the store in front of us with a longboard. Do I give chase and say hi in my fresher-like innocence? I think not. I'm carrying roughly 8 kilos of frozen food and booze. As luck would have it she was sat at the bus stop. I say hi, we chat a little, and a couple of days later we meet up for some sessioning longboard stylee. Kim, (not single) female lawyer, longboarder; a personified chunk of adrenailne and energy.

Longboarding Happened.

Before uni, I hadn't boarded all that much. It was slowly building, but not all that quickly. With Kim to drive me, and me to drive her, our standards improved immensely. Simon appeared via texts flung from kim's mobile; croupier, badass longboarder of over 8 years now, riding the same wheels for over 6, the same trucks for 8, on the same 52" beast of a board. 3 of us, lots of hills. Awesome.

As time goes by, now 1/3 the way through my first year (think xmas 06) we have recruited a number of boarders, and Kim's mind turns towards somethign she's thought about for a while: Longboard club. Emails are sent but to no avail, whilst the sessions continue and new and interesting hills and slides are broached as the year continues. Broken boards, replacement boards, upgrading of hardware happens commonly within the group as we strive for new ways to let gravity take control.

Closing on the end of the year, the union has still not responded to multiple attempts by the tenacious Kim to say hi to longboarders. Then the summer happens. The summer session happens...

'Til next time....
Keep it surreal

No comments:

Post a Comment