18/08/2008

Work, or the lack thereof

So I sit here, at my desk, killing a few minutes while we wait for architects and similar to hit us back with the info we need. Gary Gabriel Associates took me on as a summer placement 6 weeks ago now; in that time I've learned tons about drainage, levels, drawings, and masses of Autocad. No Uni course could prepare you for the CAD-tastic nature of the work; X-refs, completing whole chunks of drawing with just the keyboard, layer control and management, not using layer 0... The list goes on, so I will not bore you further. Suffice to say that AutoCAD is paramount.

My specific role is currently Quality Assesment boy; The next audit is today so I have been attacking the filing cabinets like a viking on acid. Ive removed over 3 full binbags of now archived A1 sheets, sorted through hundreds of job folders, and refiled them. Fun. But necessary, so i'm really not bothered doing it.

The rest of the time I'm designing and checking drainage schemes for new designs, and drawing it up on autocad. There's a lot of man-hours put into getting your rain and poo to their specific endpoints; gradients have to be met, ground conditions, existing sewers, existing services, permissions for putting more sewage into the existing system, CCTV surveys. Its design and its interesting. Each project is a different set of parameters. Every one is a desgn nightmare...I mean challenge: I'm enjoying the work.

Its probably time to stop slacking and go find somethign to do...
Keep it surreal!

No comments:

Post a Comment